Tuesday 8 May 2012

The story of a deadlift.

Couple of month's back, I completed my first 200kg Deadlift at the expense of tearing a ligament in my spine. Sounds nasty, but it was more uncomfortable than painful.

The road to that recovery was long and frustrating, but indeed in my time of 'exile', I learned a lot about my body, how to capitalise on whatever 'resources' I had left and around me to make sure I didn't end up being a useless slob of shit.

Yesterday, there was a challenge at the gym to Deadlift 3-3-3. 3 reps for 3 sets basically. Due to these numbers, these lifts would need to be dead heavy. I decided to attempt 150-160-170kgs

Fear of course hit, with a little worry and anxiety. Questions like "Can I do it?" and "Will my back snap again?" surfaced in my head.

Psyching myself with some form of mental zen and a mix of rage, I thought of the HULK. How he needed to pick up Thor's Hammer. A little over-dramatic, but no I just thought of the HULK, of his brute strength. Of his power. I sound retarded.

Yet, safe to say, I achieved a personal best of 170kgs for 3 reps. When sometime last year, I only managed 185 for 1 Rep. To put this into perspective, I'm gearing up to get faster, stronger, better. Are you ?


No comments:

Post a Comment